I love gadgets! This site reviews some of the ones that I own.

Mac OS X on x86

Not really a gadget but I had some time over the weekend to install Mac OS X on my Intel notebook. I'm not going to go into details on how to do it since there are dozens of sites on the net with tutorials. I simply used Linux to 'dd' the image of OSX that's floating around on the net to a spare partition on my notebook.

Ever since news of Apple switching to x86 processors (Intel) and Steve Jobs revealing to the world that Mac OS X had been compiled to run on PPC and x86 architecture from day one, most people thought hell froze over and saw flying pigs.

The soul of any computer is it's operating system. And the interface is its personality. I'm a long time Windows user but I also use Linux on a daily basis. I use Windows 'cause it works. Ever since Windows 2000, I don't mind it at all. Linux had soul but it lacked character. As much as I loved Linux, the interface bothered me. KDE and GNOME didn't click with me. XFCE is the only environment that I didn't mind loading. Maybe when Enlightenment (e17) comes out, things will change. (I got to try e17 and was really impressed)

When OS X was released, it seemed like the perfect operating system. The power and stability of BSD Unix with the beauty and elegance of an intuitive interface. Unfortunately, you had to get a Mac. Well not anymore, you can run it on practically any PC now. As I type this blog in OS X, I realize that I'm still missing something. My PC finally has class and character but now it's encased in the Frankenstein body of a PC.

When I can afford one, my next notebook will definitely be an Apple iBook. I want it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home